POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Apr 2008 20:17:27
Message: <47f6d327$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> ...I got in an argument with a fellow about fare collectors.  Anyway,
> that's not the interesting part.
>
> What really made me stop and think was when I realized that most
> everyone agrees that things "should" be "fair", but disagree what "fair"
> means.
>
> To one camp, "fair" means that everyone pays the same price for the same
> service.  Ie, a gallon of gas costs Donald Trump the same X dollars as
> Joe Blow next door.  Since it's X for both guys, it's "fair".
>
> To the other camp, "fair" means that everyone pays the same *percentage*
> of their income for certain goods.  I pay X% of my income in taxes for
> the benefit of good roads(1), and the Donald pays the same(2) X%.  Since
> X is the same, it's "fair".

Donald Trump would *love* to pay the same percentage of his income in
taxes as I do.  His proportion of taxes vs. income is much higher than mine.

Such proposals as your opponent advocates could only appeal to someone
so lacking in self-confidence that the only joy they can hope for is the
  neurotic joy of sticking it to people who are more fortunate.

"They're the party of the rich!"
"Then sign me up!  I'm tired of being poor!"

Regards,
John