POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Phrases : Re: Phrases Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Phrases
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Apr 2008 11:57:26
Message: <47f65df6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>   "pony up"
> What the heck is that supposed to mean?

It means "add your investment to the pile". "Pony" was slang for some
amount of money I don't remember.

>   "put out"
> Where I'm from, if somebody is "put out" it means they're dissapointed.

That's the adjective. The verb "to put out" means to be willing to
engage in sexual relations.

> And then there's things like
>   "stick it to 'em!"
> Now what is that supposed to mean?

It means leave someone else with the problem. The "it" being the problem.

>   "riding shotgun"

https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/history/stagecoach/

Back when money actually *was* gold, people would move it between banks
with stagecoaches.

See the two drivers? One is steering the horses. The other is riding
shotgun. You had to deal with the one riding shotgun if you tried to
steal the luggage/gold.

>   "make out"
> actually mean? From context I have some idea, but I'm unsure of the
> exact meaning. Similarly,

"Necking" is another term for it. Doing sexual things without actually
being sexual.

>   "third base"

In baseball, you travel between first base, second base, third base, and
home plate.  Not unlike the wickets in cricket if you know about that.

In a sexual connotation, there's kissing, fondling of breasts, fondling
of crotch, and actually "home base". Or something like that.

> and, while we're on the subject,
>   "off base"

In baseball, if you're not actually in contact with the base (the bag of
cloth), if you get tagged by the ball, you're "out" (i.e., you lose your
chance to score a point).  Runners will often take a few steps closer to
the next base in order to arrive faster, and occasionally get tagged
out. Hence, if you're "off base" it means you're somewhat wrong in a bad
way.

> Hmm... I need to get out more. :-S

You just need more girlfriends, sports, and fire arms.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"