POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A simple question : Re: A simple question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple question
From: scott
Date: 4 Apr 2008 01:49:34
Message: <47f5cf7e@news.povray.org>
>   Yep, we've got it in our pockets in a physical state, but it really
> isn't real in the sense of world-wide governments.

If you look on an English bank note, it says "I promise to pay the bearer on
demand the sum of xxx pounds".  It basically comes from the fact that in the
old days you would drop off 100 pounds of gold at the bank and they'd give
you a 100 pound "note" that entitled you to the gold.  Then people realised
it's easier to just trade these notes rather than actual gold.