POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 3 Apr 2008 07:19:57
Message: <47f4cb6d@news.povray.org>
Back again!

I've been refactoring and restructuring the code. It takes time to
figure out what is "the best" program structure. And I'm sure I'll
restructure it many times more later on.

Still missing transformations and acceleration structures - which both
are desperately needed. I also improved the UI code and now it works
perfectly. The UI thread now takes only minimum amount of CPU time and
thus doesn't slow the rendering down at all. And is still responsive enough.

I did implement one cool new feature: Depth of Field. It works just as
in real life (well, I don't model complete multi-element lenses...).
There is a virtual lens and all rays are cast through random points of
it based on aperture size and focal distance. So the result is very
realistic. Now the aperture is a conventional circle but it would be
quite easy to implement other kinds of apertures which look like actual
lens apertures. See the sample image below. (There is another DOF image
on the webpage.) The implementation was, again, very easy with no "side
effects" at all.

I also setup a webpage about this program (it is called "ssRay" at the
moment ;-). All the images are shown there:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sevesalm/ssRay.html

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kuva.jpg' (55 KB)