POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : As if we didn't have enough to worry about... : Re: As if we didn't have enough to worry about... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: As if we didn't have enough to worry about...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Apr 2008 05:53:22
Message: <47f4b722$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/science/29collider.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&hp

Excellent. :)

The trouble is, most people don't realise that when a scientist says
something is unlikely, they could easily be talking about a 1 in 1e30
chance or less. Basic honesty and innate pedantry forbids them from
saying outright that something is impossible because they don't honestly
know for absolute certainty. Of course, the slightest chance that a
pico-blackhole with less mass than a proton could appear and start to
eat the earth, however slowly or briefly, can very easily be used by the
press to sell at least 1e30 papers...