POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should I get Intel this time ? : Re: should I get Intel this time ? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should I get Intel this time ?
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Apr 2008 05:30:12
Message: <47f4b1b4$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> Intel has the clear technology lead now.

I would have to conclude that this is undeniably the case, at this point
in time. It seems AMD simply have no answer to the benchmark results
I've seen from Intel.

The nice thing as that as a result, AMD's entire product line is now
priced *very* attractively. (Well they don't want to go under, eh?) But
if you want serious performance, it has to be Intel, realistically...

> Of course, Intel brings completely new architecture (including new
> socket, which makes old mobos incompatible) next year: Nehalem. It looks
> very promising.

AMD brought a completely new architecture: Phenom. It looked very
promising... and then it arrived. And the last I heard, it features a
whole flood of technological wizardry, yet fails to actually deliver any
serious performance.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/