POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Apr 2008 09:58:01
Message: <47f39ef9@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> Yeah worked well with XP; people are people. If you told someone they
> should run as a LUser, but some of their programmes might not
> work/install

The real problem is the vast numbers of specialized crap programs out
there written by people who don't know what they're doing (i.e., experts
in what they're doing rather than experts in programming).

Ten years later, it really should be normal for people to be writing
software that runs as a normal user even if it installs as administrator.

I have a program that tracks real estate. It has a per-machine license
key that it stores in the per-user registry ("because it's a per-user
license. And it would break too much to fix it"[*]). Which means you
cannot install it as administrator and then run it as a normal user. You
have to run it as the same user that installed it. This is a
multi-thousand-dollar program, too. But it was written by a goob who
doesn't understand even the basics of writing usable programs, let alone
advanced stuff like installers.

> The latest wonder is that Media Player won't start unless "run as"
> Administrator, doing a search reveals others with this problem and the
> curernt solution is to unistall any 'suspect' media players.

So why blame Media Player? Why not blame the people who can't even write
a codec that works without admin privs? :-)

([*] Don't you love people who argue "It isn't broken. Besides, it's too
hard to fix."  Sorry I didn't call you back. I didn't get your voice
mail. And you didn't leave your phone number on the voice mail.)
--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"