POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should I get Intel this time ? : should I get Intel this time ? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  should I get Intel this time ?
From: Fa3ien
Date: 2 Apr 2008 03:45:42
Message: <47f347b6@news.povray.org>
I'm in the process of buying a new computer (wintel) for the firm.

Until now, I used to select AMD processors, because they were more
bang for the buck. (and I wanted to encourage Intel to make better
processors, ykw, it worked !)

It still looks like the AMD X2 64 5600+ I've initially selected is
more bang-for-the-buck than an equivalently priced Intel, but the
difference is becoming small. (checked THG benchmarks)

Some people are telling me that AMD has some chipset-drivers problems
these days, and that, all in all, going for Intel is a safer choice...
(without being able to an objective source)

Any insights ?

Fabien.