POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about garbage collection (not a flame) : Re: Question about garbage collection (not a flame) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about garbage collection (not a flame)
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Apr 2008 19:27:16
Message: <47f2d2e4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The subject was about deterministic object destruction, not deterministic
> runtime.

No, actually, my comment was
    That's where the "nondeterministic time" comes in with reference
    counting, just so you recognise.

*I* was talking about the fact that people discussing real-time GC don't
like reference counting because you have to run an arbitrarily large
number of links to reclaim memory.

When it happens is deterministic. How long it takes is (while
deterministic) too complicated to calculate reliably.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"