POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is the music industry so privileged? : Re: Why is the music industry so privileged? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is the music industry so privileged?
From: Warp
Date: 1 Apr 2008 18:51:10
Message: <47f2ca6e@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> OTOH our copyright law says that we're allowed to copy copyrighted music
> (only for personal usage only, naturally - and practically if breaking
> the copy protection ain't hard*) in extense of the media-fee - but not
> to copy copyrighted software.

  The new copyright law forbids copying music from illegal sources.
The vast majority of internet sources are defined as illegal, so you
basically can't download music legally (except from legal online shops).

  (OTOH eavesdropping internet traffic is still illegal, so how they are
going to enforce the copyright law is anybody's guess. I think a police
officer commented on the new copyright law that a law doesn't make sense
when it's impossible to enforce it.)

> *) The same law announces that it's illegal to break a technically
> effective copy protection. After that the very same law announces that
> *any* action made by the record company to stop copying the music is
> considered technically effective.

  The same law also says that it is legal to circumvent the protections
if it's necessary to listen to the music in the first place.

  The new copyright is really messed up. Nobody understands it fully.

--
                                                          - Warp