POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about garbage collection (not a flame) : Re: Question about garbage collection (not a flame) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about garbage collection (not a flame)
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Apr 2008 14:52:22
Message: <47f29276$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   How is that nondeterministic? It's perfectly predictable when those
> objects will be destroyed. Just because destroying one object causes
> the destruction of another doesn't make it "nondeterministic".

You can't tell by looking at
   a = null;
how long it will take to execute that statement.

It depends entirely on how long the system has been running, how much
data is hanging off pointers in "a", and so on. I.e., you get the same
sort of stop-and-wait-for-GC that you get with mark-and-sweep.

This is usually people talking about things close to real time but not
critical enough to actually figure out how long it would take, like
games and such.

If "a" points to a parsed XML file read from a file specified by the
user, you don't know how long it'll take to collect it, as an example.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"