POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is the music industry so privileged? : Re: Why is the music industry so privileged? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is the music industry so privileged?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 1 Apr 2008 14:32:52
Message: <47f28de4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Recordable media gets taxed for potential music piracy. This money goes
> to the music industry. Recordable media does not get taxed for potential
> software piracy, and the software industry doesn't get a dime from this.
>   The authors of the music IP get paid part of these taxes for doing
> absolutely nothing, software authors don't get any such free payments.

OTOH our copyright law says that we're allowed to copy copyrighted music
(only for personal usage only, naturally - and practically if breaking
the copy protection ain't hard*) in extense of the media-fee - but not
to copy copyrighted software.

*) The same law announces that it's illegal to break a technically
effective copy protection. After that the very same law announces that
*any* action made by the record company to stop copying the music is
considered technically effective. So literally that "#!"#!"#!#!** law
says that if the case holds a "please don't copy this" -text printed on
it, it's a technically effective copy protection. Luckily practical
justice overrides this with common sense and technically effective
really means technically effective.

**) I'm not against copyrights or copyright laws mainly. I'm just
against our quartelry-prethinked halfly-written, technically retarded
copyright law.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net