POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Doctor John
Date: 1 Apr 2008 12:15:27
Message: <47f26daf$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> It worked for me :-) I started to read the manuals after I had
> internalised the structure. I learnt POV much the same way. Ditto many
> other things I do. Manuals don't work with me until I've got a mental
> feel for the subject then I use them to polish the finished product.
> (Mixed metaphors all over the place but ykwim)

I should add that in the beginning I had a mentor who was able to point
me in the right direction if I was going hopelessly wrong but he agreed
with me that the best way to learn is by making mastikes. Doing it that
way often leads one to finding undocumented "features" and sometimes
even to useful insights about the utility/app being played with.

I don't recommend hitting the system with a large hammer but I certainly
advocate taking the back off, getting out a jeweller's loupe and gently
probing around with the recommended set of tools.

John

finished," then he sat down.