POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Apr 2008 04:25:20
Message: <47f1ff80$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> The Amiga has always been able to work at resolutions other than TV.
>> That's just the default settings.
>
> Sorry. I never saw the A1000 plugged into any monitor more resolute than
> a television. Maybe in theory, yes, but not something you could buy off
> the shelf.

I've had my A1200 plugged into a monitor running at 960 x 720 for ages.
It's just that games tend to not like it very much. :-(

[That's kind of the Amiga's downfall. Too many applications bypass the
OS because "the hardware is always the same". This fails epically when
the hardware changes...]

> It was very awesome technology. I still have all the textbooks. I still
> think it's a great way to build an OS.  It's just hard to do it
> multi-user. :-)

It *was* nice to feel all smug watching those PC guys struggling along
with 16-colour VGA graphics when I had a machine that would display
*millions* of colours simultaneously. ;-)

But then the hardware stood still for 10 years...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/