POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Mar 2008 22:27:55
Message: <47f1abbb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's incredible how you find ways to bash C++ in every possible context.

Actually, I'd like to apologize.

If, for some reason, you're taking my C++ comments as a personal
offense, I'd like to point out they weren't made with that intent. I
think you, Warp, are an extremely skilled and intelligent person. While
I haven't seen any of your code, I expect I would hire you to work on
mission-critical software my livelihood depends on without a second
thought. Your comments are usually insightful and thought-provoking,
enough so that I went out and bought a couple of C++ books to re-learn
its capabilities in case it would be appropriate in my future. When my
opinion differs from yours, it's almost always simply a matter of
preference or opinion rather than something factual. (Windows sucks!
Linux is hard to use! :-) In the rare case where it's something factual
and I think I happen to be right, it's something where I have recent
experience and you don't and the "common folklore" is out of date.

I bash C++ because its power excuses it for many of the flaws I see. I
could equally bash Perl or PHP or any other language I've ever used,
probably easier, because they have so few other redeeming qualities.
It's easy to bash a lame language that's lame because the designers
didn't care. It's more fun to bash a powerful language that seems lame
because of complex intentional restrictions on its design.

I bash C++ for the same reason I'd mock someone who fells trees with
dynamite: If you can manage it, hats off to you, but let me stand way
over there and watch the fun while you do it... :-) It's certainly most
effective, as certainly as it's inappropriate for inexperienced people.

If you think that when I'm making fun of C++'s shortcomings I'm also
making fun of those who use C++ effectively, let me just say I'm not,
and I am sorry if my being silly upset you.  If so, let me know, and
I'll knock it off here, and only be serious about it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"