POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:30:06
Message: <47f149ce@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> [What's it made of? Lead??]
>>
>> Silicon, mostly. a few threads of gold, maybe a ceramic outer case,
>> with  a very small possibility of a heat-conducting metal pad. :D
>
> AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+?

That, too.

> Have you *seen* the heat sink??

He was talking about the little metal pad on the top of the CPU. The
one, that connects the CPU to the heat sink.

> It's bigger than the damn CPU - by at least an order of magnitude!

Yes. OTOH, my C2D T5600's heat sink is 'bout same size as the CPU
itself. It's connected to 'bout same-sized radiator with heat pipes.
Then again, it's installed in a laptop...

> I'm presuming the whole thing is encased in solid metal to promote heat
> dissapation or something...

The heat sink usually is one part of solid metal. But it's still is it's
own part and not part of the CPU.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net