POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:25:07
Message: <47f148a3$1@news.povray.org>
>> It would *hardly* be the first time a superior technology has vanished
>> for reasons unrelated to technology... sadly... :-(
>
> I think the lack of ability to do multiuser work and the lack of ability
> to get beyond TV resolution were at least as deadly as Commodore marketing.
>
> These improvements were added after it was too late.

The Amiga has always been able to work at resolutions other than TV.
That's just the default settings.

Commodore had a new chipset in development that was wildly ahead of its
time - true 24-bit graphics, in an era when the PCs were just beginning
to experiment with more than 16-colour video. Realtime blitting of
24-bit graphics - apparently they had running silicon. Beaffed up sound
capabilities too. But, for whatever reason, the project was shelved.

There then followed a series of phantom products that never actually
made it to marked, until eventually CBM just ran out of cash and shut
down. Several people bought the technology, continued to ship it, but
didn't "do" anything with it, until eventually the PC marked was so far
ahead of anything the aging Amiga could offer that it was pretty much
game over.

I've yet to see any group of people as fanatical about a technology as
the Amiga users though. Everybody seemed to utterly convinced the Amiga
would fight back and retake the world, any day now... it just never
came. Interesting social dynamic there...