POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:24:24
Message: <47f14878@news.povray.org>
news:47f14649$1@news.povray.org...
> >> Damn - what on earth could you possibly use 1 TB of disk for?? o_O
> >
> > My home server has close on 500GB of drives and is over half full.
> > Assorted downloads, pdfs, Virtual PC images, ripped CDs (mine), Ripped
DVDs
> > (mine), backups of the other machines
> > It adds up
>
> Wait, back up... virtual PC images?

Yup. Virtual PC (or virtual server). Both free downloads (From MS). Allows
you to install an OS and run a virtual machine as an application.
I use them for Beta software mostly. Also have a couple of software that
wouldn't play nice on the same machine, or that I don't trust fully.
The 'harddrives' of these are just files.
Very much like VMWare, just free

> OK, that'll do it by itself. The default install of Windoze XP eats well
> over 1 GB of space. Add Office for an additional 1 GB of space gone. It
> wouldn't take very many PC images to fill even the most cavernous disk...

The base Server OS image is about 3 GB. My SQL 2008 beta is about 1 GB.
Biztalk's a lot bigger.
They all base off the same server image, so it's not so bad.

> BTW... it's possible to rip DVDs??

Um, sure. You know those .iso files you see from time to time....

> > The quad core 2.4GHz is around R2000, the quad 2.66 is R4500. (The dual
core
> > 3.0 is R1800, Dual core 3.16 is R2500)
> > I'll leave you do do the curency conversions if you like (current
exchange
> > rate - R16.1 = 1 pound)
>
> Doesn't mean you can buy it for that over here.

Probably cheaper. Hardware's notoriously expensive here.