POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Creative flub.. : Re: Creative flub.. Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creative flub..
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:23:56
Message: <47f1485c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   Copyright applies to actual software source code. It does not apply to
>>> algorithms nor functionality. If you create a program which behaves in the
>>> same way as another program you are not infringing copyright, as long as
>>> your code is original.
>
>> I think it's a little different in the USA.  You're infringing on the
>> copyright if you copied the code.
>
>   I fail to see how what you are saying is different from what I said.
>
>   I said that code is protected by copyright, behavior isn't. You said that
> code is protected by copyright.

I was implying that he wasn't creating the drivers from scratch. He was
modifying the existing drivers.

>   I suppose in countries where monetary sanctions are smaller also suing
> to intimidate is rarer, but it still exists. I know of cases here in
> Finland where people have been scared into complying because of lawsuit
> threats, and the cases were more or less dubious.

I think it's more the legal costs than the costs of losing. You can
spend a million bucks on lawyers to win a $100K lawsuit, sadly.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"