POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:10:47
Message: <47f14547$1@news.povray.org>
>> Damn - what on earth could you possibly use 1 TB of disk for?? o_O
>
> Anything having to do with processing media, yes.  Certainly any company
> can easily fill a terabyte without too much effort.

Like... what? Storing the entire season of Friends in uncompressed RGB
format? Even that surely wouldn't come close...!

> I mean, come on, you can go down to the corner store and by a 750G disk
> drive for ... well, way cheap, here.

I didn't actually need one that big. 160 GB would have been fine. I just
need slightly more space for my C: partition. I foolishly tried to
install Komplete 5, which takes up 36 GB of space... [And people
complain that M$ produces large products!]

>> Dual-core is becomming common, but I don't think I've met anybody yet
>> who can afford quad-core. (Since that almost necessarily requires you
>> to buy Intel, who are still quite expensive.)
>
> Again, for businesses, it's not an issue.

Oh, no, for a business it wouldn't be. I was thinking more for the
casual comsumer.

I guess "high-end" and related terms are necessarily somewhat
subjective. If you want, you can buy yourself a Sun system with 32
UltraSPARCs in it or something insane like that...