POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 31 Mar 2008 15:10:34
Message: <47f1453a@news.povray.org>
news:47f141b7@news.povray.org...
> >> In which universe is a machine with a 200 GB HD and more than 1 GB of
> >> RAM considered "moderate"? That sounds pretty high-end to me...
> >
> > My 3+ year old desktop is slightly higher spec'ed than that.
> > High end today is quad core processor, 4 GB+ memory and 1/2 TB disk
space.

> Damn - what on earth could you possibly use 1 TB of disk for?? o_O

My home server has close on 500GB of drives and is over half full.
Assorted downloads, pdfs, Virtual PC images, ripped CDs (mine), Ripped DVDs
(mine), backups of the other machines
It adds up

> My current motherboard doesn't even *support* more than 4 GB of RAM.
> Although I guess RAM is much cheaper now than it used to be.

Most of the higher end ones support 8GB

> Dual-core is becomming common, but I don't think I've met anybody yet
> who can afford quad-core.

Hi Andrew. Nice to meet you.....
Or did you mean meet in person?

The quad core 2.4GHz is around R2000, the quad 2.66 is R4500. (The dual core
3.0 is R1800, Dual core 3.16 is R2500)
I'll leave you do do the curency conversions if you like (current exchange
rate - R16.1 = 1 pound)