POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Creative flub.. : Re: Creative flub.. Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creative flub..
From: Warp
Date: 31 Mar 2008 12:15:14
Message: <47f11c22@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Copyright applies to actual software source code. It does not apply to
> > algorithms nor functionality. If you create a program which behaves in the
> > same way as another program you are not infringing copyright, as long as
> > your code is original.

> I think it's a little different in the USA.  You're infringing on the
> copyright if you copied the code.

  I fail to see how what you are saying is different from what I said.

  I said that code is protected by copyright, behavior isn't. You said that
code is protected by copyright.

> >   But of course in the US you can sue for anything. Just threatening to
> > sue is enough for most people. It's a rather effective means to scare
> > people.

> I was wondering - what do other countries do about this? I couldn't come
> up with any good way of solving such a problem in the legal system. It
> would have to be cultural, that you don't sue simply to intimidate someone.

  I suppose in countries where monetary sanctions are smaller also suing
to intimidate is rarer, but it still exists. I know of cases here in
Finland where people have been scared into complying because of lawsuit
threats, and the cases were more or less dubious.

--
                                                          - Warp