POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 31 Mar 2008 11:15:53
Message: <47f10e39@news.povray.org>
news:47f0f8da@news.povray.org...

> > And yet, I run Vista (Home Premium, even!) on a rather moderate machine.
> >  2.6 P4, 200GB harddrive, and 2.5G ram. It runs rather smoothly,
> > actually. I didn't notice any considerable performance drop from WinXP
> > to Vista.
>
> In which universe is a machine with a 200 GB HD and more than 1 GB of
> RAM considered "moderate"? That sounds pretty high-end to me...

My 3+ year old desktop is slightly higher spec'ed than that.
High end today is quad core processor, 4 GB+ memory and 1/2 TB disk space.

I'm currently speccing a new desktop.
Quad core 2.4
4 GB memory
400GB HDD
8800 GT graphics card
Total price - R9500 (+-)
That's just under 600 pounds at current exchange rate.