POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Mar 2008 11:15:16
Message: <47f10e14$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Generally, reverse engineering mechanical hardware is easier than
> reverse engineering M$ software

You don't really have to reverse engineer it. You print it out on paper
and look at it.

> The particular case that I used is a law firm. It's not just money, it's
> people's lives and livelihoods.

Fair enough.

> Sorry. Not a valid argument. You've confused physical format with coded
> format.

They're all coded, so I'm not sure what your point is. Formats change,
and if you want continued access to your data, you need to periodically
go through the pain of upgrading formats. This is true of every format.

Some formats last longer than data tends to be worth, so you really only
see that pain when you're (say) an archeologist, but it's always there.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"