POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 31 Mar 2008 11:05:58
Message: <47f10be6@news.povray.org>
"Mike Raiford" <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> And yet, I run Vista (Home Premium, even!) on a rather moderate machine.
>   2.6 P4, 200GB harddrive, and 2.5G ram. It runs rather smoothly,
> actually. I didn't notice any considerable performance drop from WinXP
> to Vista.

Vista Ultimate here on a laptop. Slightly higher spec than yours, but then I
run virtual PC and server apps on it, so it has to be. It plays games pretty
well too.

The only glitch I've had so far is when StarForce copy protection tried to
install itself. One of the 3 drivers isn't signed, so Vista refused to
install it. Would have been fine if StarForce had undone the installation
properly. As it was, I was left with 2 of the 3 drivers installed and got
dumped to the recovery console the next time the laptop booted. Only took
about 5 min to fix, once I found what the problem was.