POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 09:44:42
Message: <47f0f8da@news.povray.org>
>> XML is no magic bullet for instant portability...
>
> Yup. Our company makes lots of XML files that only our company's
> products intend to understand. Same for competitors and other vendors,
> too. Gets real fun when you try to import someone else's XML. Yeah, it
> parses perfectly, but you have no clue what the semantics of the file
> should be.

Depending on how well the schema is designed, it might be quite easy to
comprehend.

Or not...

 From what little I know, the M$ XML format uses things like bitmaps and
so forth to represent things. [Because that's how their codebase worked
before they ported it to XML, and it's simpler to leave it that way than
use a truly "open" arrangement like, say, using attributes or tags or
something...]

>> Now look at Vista. I'm anticipating the same story all over again.
>> Right now, you'd be insane to use Vista. It's just too flaky, and it's
>> too expensive to construct a machine that's sufficiently high-end to
>> run it even moderately well. Maybe in another 10 years it'll be OK...
>
> And yet, I run Vista (Home Premium, even!) on a rather moderate machine.
>  2.6 P4, 200GB harddrive, and 2.5G ram. It runs rather smoothly,
> actually. I didn't notice any considerable performance drop from WinXP
> to Vista.

In which universe is a machine with a 200 GB HD and more than 1 GB of
RAM considered "moderate"? That sounds pretty high-end to me...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/