POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: scott
Date: 31 Mar 2008 02:26:59
Message: <47f09243@news.povray.org>
>  "Hey, we have all this super-secret data and documents which are
> absolutely vital to the survival of our company. Let's make ourselves
> completely dependent on the software, proprietary formats and restrictive
> licenses of a third-party company who we have absolutely no guarantees
> about and who could one day change any software and licensing to anything
> they want on a whim.

I would far rather trust MS with that than a group of voluntary workers.  MS
has a brand name to protect and shareholders to please, they are not going
to do anything stupid.  On the other hand, one day the main developers may
decide they don't have enough time to continue with some open source
project, or the community might lose interest, etc.  From a business POV MS
is far safer bet for the long run.