POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again : Re: Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about Languages again
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Mar 2008 14:59:25
Message: <47eff11d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Btw, it seems that I am not the only one who realizes the problem of
> delayed object destruction.

Heh. I think most everyone realizes it.  :-)  People just aren't sure of
any good(*) way of solving it.

Indeed, I've seen research in Java where they look at the generated
code, determine that a pointer to an object *must* be the last pointer
(e.g., it hasn't been assigned to an instance variable, it hasn't been
passed to something separately compiled that might have stored it, etc)
and GC that object as soon as it goes out of scope. Apparently this
provides even *better* performance than GC alone.  Basically moving (via
optimization rather than via asking the programmer) the object to the
stack instead of the heap.

(*) Where "good" encompasses "runs on popular OSes" and "works with
"normal" languages.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"