POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again : Re: Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about Languages again
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Mar 2008 14:40:37
Message: <47ee9b35$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>     IntegerOrFloat* ptr = whatever;
>
>> That's a pointer to a struct. :-)
>
>   A union is not a struct.

My bad. I understood, I just mispoke.

> The 'ptr' truely points directly to either an
> integer or a float,

No, it points to the union. The integer and the float are both at the
same *address*, but the pointer points to a *union*. :-)

Consider the difference between "pointer arithmetic" and "address
arithmetic". If ptr points to an integer, then ptr++ should change its
address by sizeof(int), right?

Again, it's nitpicking, but it's the kind of language-lawyering that
language designers babble about.

> at the exact same memory location. There's no need
> to calculate memory offsets.

Right. That's *address* arithmetic, tho. You can have different types of
pointers all pointing to the same address, *because* the difference
between "pointer" and "address" is whether it has a type. (At least in
most language design discussions.)

>> You can implement private methods that only the class can call and which
>> are invisible to any code not in the class defining the method, if
>> that's what you mean.  You can even put it in a separate file all by itself.
>
>   If that's so, what's this talk about C# forcing you to implement everything
> inline? I thought that meant you *can't* implement any part of a class in
> a separate file.

Err, no. It's called a "partial class". I believe perhaps the first
version of C# didn't have that?

// File A1.cs
partial class A {
   void alpha(...) { ... }
}

// File A2.cs
partial class A {
   void beta(...) { ... }
}

As I said, mostly used for code generators to stay out of your way.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"