POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Warp
Date: 29 Mar 2008 06:33:19
Message: <47ee28ff@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Why is it that so many M$ users (present company excepted) defend their
> choice by pointing to the success of M$ as a company rather than being
> able to rationally discuss the pros and cons of Windows (all variants)
> as a stable and secure OS?

  I have never understood and will probably never understand this:

  "Hey, we have all this super-secret data and documents which are
absolutely vital to the survival of our company. Let's make ourselves
completely dependent on the software, proprietary formats and restrictive
licenses of a third-party company who we have absolutely no guarantees
about and who could one day change any software and licensing to anything
they want on a whim. Let's also use their OS which is infamously known
for the vast amount of devastating malware in our absolutely critical
systems instead of using some other OS with little or no malware at all."

  Nothing becomes "industry standard" unless the industry adopts it as
a whole. The industry is completely stupid, IMO.

--
                                                          - Warp