POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Real Clouds with Real Problems : Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Clouds with Real Problems
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 29 Mar 2008 05:26:20
Message: <47ee194c$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews wrote:

> as if the oval cancels the other media with its own.

I suspect that it is indeed the problem that interiors are not
generally additive (e.g, what would it mean to have two diffent
iors) and further confusing because except for media most interior
stuff is only calculated for the surface, not volumetric. I didn't
find anything explicit in the documentation, though.

> My current solution is to define everything as a function, and then simply add
> the functions together and just have one object with a complicated media
> definition.

Have you tried using the complicated function only in the oval?
If the density of that function matches the density of the simple
atmosphere function at the oval boundary, it might help to get
rid of that effect without requiring the complicated function
for the entire atmosphere. But I suppose the boundary might
still appear due to sampling artefacts.