POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again : Re: Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about Languages again
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Mar 2008 14:44:47
Message: <47ed4aaf@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I saw a LOL line on another conversation.
>>     > > Having used Ada and C++ extensively,
>>     > > I'll take Ada over C++ any day.
>>     > Never having used Ada at all, I'll take Ada over C++.
>
>   Ada may be a wonderful language, but its lack of recent popularity
> means that the amount of available libraries is probably quite small.

This is true. Even simple things like base64 are not really easily
available. I was just amused at the quote.

> No matter how wonderful a language is, having to reinvent wheels with
> it is a major letdown.

That's why I'm looking at Erlang. Nice industrial libraries to go along
with the "bizarre" language.

>   If I had to choose a language other than C++, I'll probably choose Java
> because of the amount of libraries and portability, or C# because it
> sounds a bit better than Java. (Or if efficiency is not an issue, maybe
> I would just go with PHP.)

PHP is really sucky for anything other than what all the libraries are
already written for. :-)  It's a good tool to have in the toolbox, but
I'd not write a (say) desktop app in it, or for that matter anything
intended to run longer than a web page hit.

>> It really is amazingly well thought out as a language. Plus they've
>> added generics
>
>   I thought templates are evil? ;)

I don't think C# generics are like templates. It's been a while, but I
don't remember even that syntax.

>   It still makes be laugh out loud to remember how Java advocates
> fiercely attacked C++ templates. Then, some years later, they added
> some crippled template mechanism to Java (which still doesn't solve
> all the issues).

They didn't change the VM to support it. How good could it be? I think
it was more pre-processor tricks than anything, IIRC.

>> I thought that was the idea behind Vista? Most of it rewritten to .NET?
>   Ah, now I understand why it's so large, heavy and slow.

Yep. And not even actually ported. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"