POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Doctor John
Date: 28 Mar 2008 14:21:44
Message: <47ed4548$1@news.povray.org>
Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!! ... also many other expressions indicating extreme
frustration.
Why is it that so many M$ users (present company excepted) defend their
choice by pointing to the success of M$ as a company rather than being
able to rationally discuss the pros and cons of Windows (all variants)
as a stable and secure OS? The following is a typical example.

I am in the process of assisting with a staged migration of a legal
practice's system from you-know-what to the One True OS and, today, got
hijacked by their Office Manager whilst enjoying lunch in their office
canteen.
Despite the fact that the partners had made the decision to go ahead
with the migration (and that decision is irrevocable); despite the fact
that they would save money; despite  the fact that they would be
considerably more secure and resilient, this idiot decided to fight a
rearguard action with _me_ using M$'s business success as an indicator
of the strength of their OS. I suppose he chose me as messenger rather
than face up to those who pay his salary but FGS why not at least use
examples of where Windows gets it right.
It was impossible to get him to listen to any rational reasoning because
each time I raised a point, back came the pat retort that M$ was now one
of the biggest and most powerful corporations in the world. In the end I
gave up and to my shame left him with the retort that the Nazi party was
the biggest political organisation in Germany in the thirties but that
didn't make them a force for good.

I suspect I may have made an enemy.

John
(listening to Enya's Memory Of Trees to calm himself down)

finished," then he sat down.