POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again : Re: Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about Languages again
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 27 Mar 2008 16:29:44
Message: <47ec11c8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> As I got into C# and .Net I found it to be very well thought out, rich
>> and powerful.
>
> It's still statically typed and compiled, so you still have the troubles
> interfacing with Other Stuff sometimes. Like SQL - you still wind up
> changing things in several places when you change the type of
> arrangement of a SQL table.  I found that annoying for doing prototyping.

The Program <=> SQL divide is what LINQ targets and seems to
dramatically advance.  Suddenly the result of SQL like processes within
the program are typed objects.  The IDE provides Intellisense on the
objects.  They are compile time type checked.

>> about all of the neat new things and how well it all fits together.
>
> It really is amazingly well thought out as a language. Plus they've
> added generics, partial classes, inline SQL, etc.
>
>> Then there is the framework which to me seems more comprehensive and
>> consistent than anything for Java.
>
> Yep. Again, of course, they had the hindsight of what Java had to
> explore and then maintain.  Java was kind of "the first one you throw
> out once you learn what you actually want," IMO.

I agree.  It is a luxury that they have certainly enjoyed and taken full
advantage of.

>> Call me a C# / .Net fanboy but don't call me one for Microsoft.  I
>> reckon they should put the C# guys starting with Anders Hejlsberg in
>> charge of the next OS they do.
>
> I thought that was the idea behind Vista? Most of it rewritten to .NET?

I'm not sure how much if any of Vista is actually written in .Net.
Possibly some of the UI but I suspect not much of the core.  In any case
it is the elegant design that I would like to see applied.  The fact
that some of technology X may have been used in a bloated disaster isn't
the same as saying that the design behind technology X shouldn't be used
to avoid bloat in what comes afterwards.

The false logic is:
- Vista is a disaster
- Vista has some of .Net
- Therefore .Net is a disaster

Used by people who know little or nothing about .Net.