POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NearInfinity game demo : Re: NearInfinity game demo Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NearInfinity game demo
From: stbenge
Date: 26 Mar 2008 11:08:08
Message: <47ea74e8@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I hope you enjoy my little game. To make it more interesting, I have
>> hidden a few easter eggs for you to find. Questions and comments are
>> always appreciated. Have fun!
>
> It's really cool, the controls remind me a little of the game Thrust I
> had on my old BBC computer - I loved that game.  I can see this could
> turn into a really fun game to play too.  Good job.

Thanks! Is the collision detection too bouncy? I kind of like it that
way, as it makes the game feel "softer".

As a side note, this was more of a "proof of concept", rather than a
demo. I could have chosen a better description.

> For the whole frame rate / game speed thing, I recommend you read this
> article - it really explains very simply how to make sure your game runs
> exactly the same way (in terms of physics and speed) no matter what the
> frame rate is.
>
> http://www.gaffer.org/game-physics/fix-your-timestep

Thanks, I will read that. I tried to implement a lower limit to the FPS,
but everything I did resulted in an exponential speed increase, hence my
crappy patch in the config file. At least I'm learning to control the
framerate without compromising functionality (ie. collision detection).

> Not many people have 640x480 monitors anymore, perhaps you could make
> some higher resolution tiles and give the option to change the screen
> resolution?

I thought all monitors were backward-compatible. What resolution would
you suggest? 1280x880? I think maybe I could get away with having a
variable resolution, as it appears any speed bottleneck occurs when more
pixels are drawn to the screen. A person could choose a lower res if a
high one is too slow.

> I don't know what plans you have for the gameplay, but you could vary
> the colour of the tiles over a large scale (say repeating every 2000
> units) so that the player has some idea to remember which parts of the
> map they are visiting - it's very easy to get lost because everything
> looks the same.

That's a good idea. It is possible to do this, and I could change the
color at each corner of every sprite for a smoother look. Maybe I could
do it with a perlin noise function, although the only one I found
repeats rather quickly, hence my question in p.programming.

Sam