POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with Photons : Re: Playing with Photons: Found the solution! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with Photons: Found the solution!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Mar 2008 04:05:48
Message: <47e8c06c$1@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> schreef in bericht
>I began playing with this scene, with no particular final result in mind,
>so it
> has developed on its own.  But in the end, I decided I'd like to have the
> caustics of light reflected from the water playing on the bottom surfaces
> of
> the canyon, so I added photons.  I've never really played with photons, so
> I'm
> hoping someone more experienced with them might assist me--I'm not getting
> quite what I hoped for.
>
> I used standard photon settings.
>
> You'll notice strange artifacts along the walls of bright specks--they do
> not
> appear until both photons and radiosity are turned on.

EUREKA! FOUND IT!

TEST 1: switching only media on, makes the artefacts appear again. Even with
max_gradient 100 they do not disappear... The solution for this seems to be
the max_trace level (see the warning in the message window). The default (1)
is too low. Either use 2 (or higher), or switch all_intersections on. With
max_gradient 60, no artefacts appear.

TEST 2: Switching also radiosity on, no artefacts!

TEST 3: Switching also photons on, no artefacts!

CONCLUSION: the max_trace level.

Image being rendered presently. I shall post it when finished.

Thomas