POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : crackle flagstone floor question : Re: crackle flagstone floor question Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crackle flagstone floor question
From: John VanSickle
Date: 23 Mar 2008 19:36:16
Message: <47e6f780@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> This is a height_field (multiple actually, tiled, but not tile-able)
> made from a nine* megapixel .png made of course from an orthogonal view
> of crackle pattern pigment on a plane.  The pigment used for the
> height_field is a *different* .png which is basically the original after
> a few bucket-fills in GIMP with different colors to different 'stones.'
>
> I could keep-it-in-POV-Ray (no image based height_fields or image_maps)
> if I knew how to give individual stones different colors using crackle.
>  Unfortunately it looks like there's a choice between patterns that can
> give borders to cells, or patterns which can give different colors to
> different cells.

It's simple:  Use the solid cell pattern as the coloring for the centers
of the regions in the mortared cell pattern.

pigment { crackle
   pigment_map {
     [.1 rgb .75]
     [.1 crackle solid
       color_map { [0 rgb <.9,.8,.7>][1 rgb <.7,.6,.5>] }
     ]
   }
//  scale, rotate, and transform to taste
}

If you base the height_field off of a pigment instead of an image file,
then you can use a suitable solid pattern to color the stones.  Then use
another pigment_based height_field to generate the mortar.

Hope this helps,
John