POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : crackle flagstone floor question : Re: crackle flagstone floor question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crackle flagstone floor question
From: Charles C
Date: 22 Mar 2008 23:06:35
Message: <47e5d74b@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:
>> Wow, I like that.
>
> I concur.

Hehe

> Something that I only learned after a lot of fiddling: Povray can build
> heightfields from textures generated procedurally in-memory. I can
> actually save parse time that way if the texture is detailed (large
> images take a while to load from disk).
>
> Something like so:
>
> height_field {
>     function 400, 400 { fn_pattern(x, y, 0)}
> }

Yes, that's what I had in mind when I mentioned 'keeping-it-in-POV'.
After actually trying it though, on this particular machine it's taking
longer to re-generate it than it is to load an image so I may end up
sticking to images.  For some reason I had it in my head that a
non-image_map based height_field worked more like an isosurface without
a specific resolution. (Another thing I haven't learned a lot about.)

Charles