POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with Photons : Re: Playing with Photons Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with Photons
From: Alain
Date: 22 Mar 2008 10:27:08
Message: <47e5254c$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/03/22 02:46:
> Here's a render using just photons, no radiosity or media. The rest of the
> values are the same as in my previous image post--except that I changed the
> reflection of your "water box" to reflection{1.6} to brighten up the sandstone
> walls, to see the detail there.
>
> Some strange things are going on!
>
> Those multiple, ragged dark patches *could* be the main reason for the problem
> you're having, although I'm not absolutely sure of that. Looks like the photons
> aren't hitting certain areas(?). I would try and concentrate on getting the
> photon coverage worked out, before pointing the finger at media
> or radiosity.
>
> I tried monkeying around with photon spacing, but that didn't help. You might
> want to try a different photon scheme, using count rather than spacing.
>
> I'll continue working on this photon problem--it's a nice challenge! I'd like to
> see this overall problem *solved*, as I have a similar scene of my own in
> the planning stages.
>
> Ken W.

The ragged patches seems to be a result of the normal in the rock's texture.
Here's the relevant statement:
   normal {crackle turbulence .5 scale <.2,.05,.2>*2 }

The photons react much more to the normals than the radiosity, even with normals on.

--
Alain
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.