POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: Tim Riley
Date: 21 Mar 2008 13:12:34
Message: <47e3fa92$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> Open the "boot.ini" file in the root of the drive where windows is
> installed.
> Find this:
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=...
>
> Add " /3GB" at the end of the first line, and ONLY that line.
>
> If you encounter a problem when booting, restart in safe mode and undo
> the change.

You'll have to un-hide "protected operating system files" first to see boot.ini:
In Windows Explorer, uncheck the box:
Tools>Folder Options>View>Hide protected....

When I installed XP Pro (SP2) on machines with 4GB of memory, the /3GB switch
was automatically added to boot.ini. You should only have to add it if you
increase your memory after installation.