POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 17 Mar 2008 13:43:12
Message: <47debbc0@news.povray.org>
sooperFoX wrote:
> Fantastic!
>
> Makes me want the QX9650 even more ;) But it's $1200.00 just for the
> CPU alone...!! :O

True. But 9300 and 9450 are quite cheapish already :) I just wonder if
it is stupid to spend 300 euros just because one single program needs
the additional cores...naaah :)

> You know that feature you just implemented would be great for when a
> render is almost done but there are still 1 or 2 noisy areas (e.g.
> caustics, or in a dark corner) and you could concentrate all the
> power just on that section - brilliant!

I think so too. And in the test phase you can just render the
interesting objects without spending time on large uninteresting
surfaces - without the need to alter camera/image size settings. It
would also be easy to assign different areas for different threads. But
even this is usable now.

> By the way I've been meaning to ask you - where does the interesting
> striped reflection in the pink glass box (next to the yellow/gold
> sphere) come from? I couldn't replicate that when I tried to recreate
> your scene last time.

The pink tower is made of 6 smaller boxes which have just a small gap
between them. They also get "pinker" downwards. So it must be total
reflections/refractions the individual pieces cause. (If my code is
calculating them properly...).