POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Mar 2008 08:10:25
Message: <47de6dc1$1@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> schreef in bericht

> The mystery deepens.. The machine I was running this render on crashed
> over the
> weekend (not sure of the reason for the crash), but it had (just) done
> enough
> of the render to see that the patches were still present (and may have
> been
> even worse).
>
> This was with the following radiosity settings:
>
>    pretrace_start 0.08
>    pretrace_end   0.01
>    count 1000
>    nearest_count 20
>    error_bound 0.2
>    recursion_limit 4
>    low_error_factor .9
>    gray_threshold 0
>    minimum_reuse 0.015
>    brightness 0.8
>    adc_bailout 0.01/2
>
> I am now wondering if this is a problem with the machine I am using for
> the
> render (maybe a dodgy memory chip issue which would explain the crash), I
> think
> I will try stripping the radiosity settings back to something really basic
> that
> should not cause any issues (and will be much quicker) then see how that
> goes.

This is strange indeed. I am wondering now if those artifacts are caused by
radiosity... Have you had a mention of I-Stack Overflows reported in the
statistics? Maybe max_intersections is too low?

OTOH, it looks a bit like a max_gradient problem, but if no isorfaces are
used here... Neither max_trace.... And without reflective surfaces
max_trace_level seems out of the question too...

Thomas