POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : any ideas what these black patches are.. : Re: any ideas what these black patches are.. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any ideas what these black patches are..
From: David Buck
Date: 13 Mar 2008 07:38:50
Message: <47d9205a$1@news.povray.org>
s.day wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I have access to a machine with 8GB memory and 8 cores and not enough time to
> create any new POV images for over a year now :-( I have been trying to
> re-render one of my old images at very high res.. I have been trying to
> generate radiosity stats (save them to a file) at 2625x1750 but the image
> contains black patches shown below.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this.
>
> My current theories are:
>
> max_trace_level (set to 15)
>
> Something to do with the radiosity settings:
>
>     pretrace_start 0.08
>     pretrace_end   0.01
>     count 500
>     nearest_count 20
>     error_bound 0.08
>     recursion_limit 4
>     low_error_factor .9
>     gray_threshold 0
>     minimum_reuse 0.015
>     brightness 0.8
>     adc_bailout 0.01/2
>     save_file "museum.rad"
>
> Something to do with the amount of memory being used:
>
> 1.5GB (VM size 1.93GB)
>
> Any ideas... Also if anyone knows if the radiosity data will still be OK or if I
> need to stop the render and restart once the issue is fixed would be good (this
> has been running for 11 days so far).
>
> Sean

I can eliminate two of the options for you.

With maxTraceLevel set to 15, you likely would not see blotches like
this.  You won't get 15 levels of reflection in this scene and even if
you did, you shouldn't get this blotching.

I can't imagine that insufficient memory would cause the image to appear
blotchy.  It may slow down the render by using virtual memory instead of
physical memory and it may fail altogether but I can't imagine a
scenario in which memory would cause differences in the image without
crashing.

I can't comment on the radiosity settings - I'll let other people in
this group address that.

David Buck