POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 5 Mar 2008 16:52:06
Message: <47cf1606$1@news.povray.org>
sooperFoX wrote:

> Well, here we are. After rendering for 11 hours we have an interesting result -
> the black area did not go away! There is still also some noise left.. Your
> renderer wins, Severi!

W000t! Where can I get my prize? :-)

Few thoughts:

1. My program has no depth limit at all. Only a probability that a ray
will die/get absorbed when bouncing. So every now and then a ray might
bounce many times. A hard-coded depth limit induces some bias. 100
bouces, however should be enough.

2. What was the actual color value you specified for the green glass?
Maybe the glass is so dark that multiple layers simply don't let enough
light through?

3. My image seems to have less noise on the table and more noise on the
floor. Maybe on average they are on par. Anyway, I rendered one 1
core@3GHz for 8h. But then again, my renderer lacks many important
features which _might_ slow the renderer down when implemented.

4. Even small changes in the scene can alter the noise levels quite a
bit. Especially the light source size has a big impact on noise/time
figures.

So this is not very scientific result. At some point I'll make a better
test scene and post the dimensions. Or anyone else can do it. Maybe in
Pov-SDL so we can compare results from it too. And we can keep this even
remotely on-topic :-)