POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 4 Mar 2008 16:58:32
Message: <47cdc608$1@news.povray.org>
> Your renderer is truly great! How long did you let it run on that image, and how
> many passes/iterations did it do in that time?

I don't remember exact figures but it was about a 8h render with some
2500 passes on one core (C2D@3GHz). Pure Monte Carlo path tracing with
no accelerations or fancy techniques. Just brute force :) (And pure
stupidity :)

You don't have to post the image but it would be interesting to know how
quickly Kerkythea renders the same image with pure path tracing to about
the same noise levels as my image.

> I didn't have your scene data so I just improvised by eye.. attached is a render
> using MLT on PT, that I let run for 1h 20m, in which time it did about 65
> iterations. It isn't an exact match, obviously, since I got the spacing a bit
> wrong, but I can see that our renderers agree on all the right light in all the
> right places!

Actually that is a very good replica of the scene! I'm impressed. And
impressed even more with the similarity of the render! Really, they look
very similar in all respects: the caustics, color bleeding, shadows,
everything. Of course your image has a bit more light but still, very
close. On the other hand, that is to be expected with unbiased
renderers. There should be no room for inaccuracies or interpretation.
MLT and Bi-directional are better (ie. faster) techniques and I'll also
try to implement at least the latter at some point.

> Also in the future if you would like me to run any other comparisons I would be
> happy to oblige. It would be nice if I could use the same geometry as you -
> sphere coordinates and radii, etc. How do you define your scenes?

Thanks. I'll sure ask if I need more similar renders!

At this point I describe the scene purely in the source code. I compile
a new program every time I change the scene. But since my renderer has
2k lines of code it takes a fraction of a second to compile it :) Yes, a
parser would be cool but:

1. I don't know what kind of SDL I want to support/implement.
2. I have never done a parser - besides a simple command line parameter
parse. So this is a bigger learning process :)