POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : House Project : Re: House Project Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: House Project
From: Alain
Date: 3 Mar 2008 16:03:17
Message: <47cc6795$1@news.povray.org>
Nimish Ajmani nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/03/03 07:58:
> "Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
>> Hmmm...what radiosity settings are you using?  And do you have ambient lighting
>> turned off?
>>
>> If you really want to add some extra realism (and extra render time), use an
>> area light.  Don't use it in the animation, of course.
>
> I am using the default radiosity settings.  I never used radiosity before this,
> but I am still toying with effects.
>
> And an area light was used once, but it added a ton of extra time for the
> animation, and It wouldn't have been done in time for the actual due date.
>
> I'll toy with the settings a bit more.  If you have any ideas, by al means, I
> would like to know them.
>
> -Nimish

A way to greatly accelerate area_light is to add adaptive 0 or adaptive 1 if you
get artefacts. That way, your area_light is almost as fast as a regular light
for most of the scene, it only slow down in the penumbrae. Optimum aray for
adaptive are: 5, 9, 17, 33, 65,... Even in the penumgrae, an adaptive area_light
don't sample every points of the array, just those whose neibours are different.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you read about an algorithm or