POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Timed out waiting for worker thread startup : Timed out waiting for worker thread startup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Timed out waiting for worker thread startup
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Mar 2008 04:37:48
Message: <47ca756c$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

while looking for the reason of "Timed out waiting for worker thread
startup" error message (I'm on Gentoo ~amd64), I got a strange feelings.

Under ddd (gdb X11 interface), no problem.
Under normal shell, it happens (and a lot, after the first run).

Looking at vfeSession::Initialize (in vfe/vfesession.cpp), the lock on
which the timed_wait is performed (and failed in case of that issue), is,
if my C++ is not too rusty, built using m_InitializeMutex, a protected
member of vfeSession (class in vfe/vfesession.h)

And it seems it is never initialized (only one reference) explicitely, so
only the constructor of vfesession might in fact create that mutex.

It might be that g++ is over-optimizing the constructor of vfesession by
simply mapping the memory area, without resetting the mutex ?

I'm trying to re-compile with other g++ versions (my current is 4.2.3)
and see if it is better...