POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Feb 2008 12:00:22
Message: <47c6e8a6$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. The important part is the actual net
> effect that affects the image. If the 4% (or whatever n1 and n2 gives)
> holds true in most cases and is accurate within some margin - that is
> suitable for now.

I think it's more like 4% is going to be the average surface
reflectivity, and you really have to manufacture the glass smooth and
with a constant thickness within a fraction of a wavelength to see any
difference.

The "not always 4%" effect can be seen in things like oil floating on
water, where the layer of oil is less than a few wavelengths thick, so
you see the different colors reflecting with different percentages.

For a "normal" block of glass, yah, it's going to be about 4%, because
you're going to average a whole bunch of thicknesses of glass and a
number of different angles (as your pupil has a size much larger than a
wavelength of light too).

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"