POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Animation stuff in the source : Re: Animation stuff in the source Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation stuff in the source
From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Feb 2008 23:24:02
Message: <47c63762$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> If you want to support hundreds of codecs *and* containers, use ffmpeg.
> It would be pretty cool to generate MPEG4 while the animation renders :)

We don't really want to add yet another library to POV (especially such a
swiss army knife as ffmpeg). To the contrary, as Thorsten pointed out, what
we want is a convenient format that can be fed *into* ffmpeg as a post-
process. (While ffmpeg can of course read a sequence of still images, I
don't class this type of output as 'convenient'). Having a single file that
is viewable in a range of media players as output from an animation render
is the primary goal, along with retention of quality (e.g. we would not
consider adding support for any form of temporal compression).

Taking such a file to e.g. mpeg4 is a trivial post-render step using ffmpeg
or similar tools.

-- Chris