POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Cross-compilation possible? : Re: Cross-compilation possible? Server Time
3 May 2024 22:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cross-compilation possible?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 27 Feb 2008 14:59:21
Message: <47c5c119$1@news.povray.org>
> Trying to cross-compile POV-Ray 3.6.1.

	Good idea  :-)

> Maybe the fact that it was made
> with autoconf 1.12

	Yes, very likely.  The jpeg library is rather old anyway.

> I think there should be checks for
> sub-configures failing.

	This is a known problem that, IIRC, has been fixed for a 3.6.2 that
we unfortunately had no time to release yet  :-(

> Second roadblock. Libtiff's problem is similar to libjpeg

	The tiff library provided in POV's source distro is 3.6.1 IIRC, and
this one is rather ugly as far as configuration is concerned.  The latest
3.8.x series of libtiff are far better here.

> Now its configure script works fine. And third roadblock. libtiff's
> makefile has a terrible habit of compiling tools (using the
> cross-compiler!) and trying to run them; like mkversion, and another
> tool to make a lookup table or something. Of course, this doesn't work

	Yeah, I had this kind of nightmare to solve when trying to configure
libtiff from within POV's configuration.  So no surpises here  :-/

> Fine, I get the idea. Libtiff won't cross-compile without a lot of hacking.

	I'd bet so.

> Feature request: let me disable it.

	Then try the 3.7 unix sources that have been made available today  :-)
	(BTW, the external libs are no longer included in the 3.7 unix sources)

	- NC